If you have been arrested for drug possession in Colorado, you may be wondering about the penalties you stand to face. The penalties for drug possession will primarily depend on the type and volume of drug found in your possession, as well as whether or not you have a previous drug crime conviction. Potential sentences for this type of drug crime are as follows:
- Possession of a Schedule V drug is a Class 1 misdemeanor punishable by between 6-18 months in jail and fines up to $5,000
- Possession of a Schedule IV drug is a Class 5 felony punishable by 1-3 years in prison and fines between $1,000 - $100,000
- Possession of a Schedule III drug is a Class 4 felony. Sentencing can include 2-6 years in prison along with $2,000 - $500,000 in fines
- Possession of a Schedule I or II drug is charged as a Class 3 felony and is punishable by up to 12 years in prison and fines not to exceed $750,000
- Possession of a Schedule V drug is a Class 5 felony punishable by 1-3 years in prison and maximum fines of $100,000
- Possession of a Schedule IV drug is a Class 4 felony. This type of crime can be penalized by up to 6 years in prison and fines no greater than $500,000
- Possession of a Schedule III drug is a Class 3 felony punishable by between 4-12 years in prison and fines between $3,000-$750,000
- Possession of a Schedule I or II drug is a Class 2 felony. Sentencing for this type of drug crime can include between 8-24 years in prison and up to $1 million dollars in fines
Penalties for Marijuana Possession
These charges and penalties are far less serious. Possession of between 1 oz. and 8 oz of marijuana is a Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable by 6-18 months in jail and fines not to exceed $5,000. If you are arrested with more than 8 oz. of marijuana in your possession, you can be charged with a Class 5 felony and face up to 3 years in prison, along with fines up to $100,000. A second or third marijuana possession offender could face double the maximum penalties. Those who are arrested with less than one gram of any controlled substance, may be able to receive a significantly lesser charge and penalty.
Hire an Experienced Colorado Springs Criminal Defense Lawyer
This is the first action you should take following your arrest. The attorney you choose to represent you will have a direct impact on the outcome of your case. When you hire a criminal defense attorney from Damascus Road Law Group, you can rest assured the firm will be dedicated to the success of your case.
Attorney Berry is a former public defender who is committed to using his knowledge and skill to help clients defend their freedom. He handles all types of criminal defense cases and is more than qualified to provide you with an aggressive strategy for your defense. With the help of the firm, you stand a far greater chance of achieving the outcome you seek. Call a Colorado Springs criminal defense attorney at the firm now to get the representation you deserve.